Sunday, December 16, 2007

Good news for those who like the Dark...

Mac users have for some time now, their WriteRoom, a simple full-screen text editor with no distractions. WriteRoom is a place where your mind clears and your work gets done. The picture says it all. A simply great application that makes you work. I just came out of bed and started to make up a text in my mind for someone but by the time I had reached my normal text editor most of it had already gone...Too many bells in my head, and ...on my screen. So instead I started looking for a Windows version, and immediately I found not only one, but 2.
First there is Dark Room, a real clone:
"A full screen, distraction free, writing environment. Unlike standard word processors that focus on features, Dark Room is just about you and your text. The goal of the project is to capture the essence of WriteRoom, while keeping it simple and just as free." You will notice that it is not that slick as the mac version, but it does the work. Then there is JDarkRoom that is inspired on Dark Room but uses Java instead of Microsoft .NET framework. I've found it to be a bit slower in starting up and more archaic in design. The first seems to have more options and a right-click menu while JDark uses only keyboard commands. It's all a matter of taste, really. But I am happy that I have them. It's another reason that you really don't need a mac. As a PC-slave you just have to look further and work harder.